off-stage right

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Save money on employee benefits (and increase your coverage)!

Ken Davenport wrote a post last week about the outrageous costs of healthcare on commercial shows.  It created a lot of conversations in the blogosphere and beyond.  At last night’s American Theatre Magazine Benefit, I spoke to several people who were in the process of trying to cut expenses and worried about staff retention.  Late last month I had sent the below email to a few close friends, several who have taken action and will be seeing some savings coming their way!  So recent conversations made me think I should just put it up here for the world to see. 

During these trying times I have been talking with many of you about how to cut expenses, reward employees and retain what meager staffs we have at nonprofit theatres.   It keeps me up at night.  While complaining to my dear friend Greg Martin about the state of theatre in general he offered to help in any way that he can.  So I am teaming up with him to get the word out that you can sometimes accomplish all three.  And remember as you read this there is no charge for any of his company’s services.  It doesn’t matter where you are located or what type of business you run!

Now, first question who the heck is he?  Greg runs Manchester Benefits – a full service broker for health, disability, and life insurance benefits.  10 years ago, when I was at MCC Theater I became Greg’s first client when he started the company.  I have used Manchester Benefits at EVERY company I have been at since (and they all continue to use him to this day) and have recommended him to several other organizations since started working with him.  He is working with everyone from ART-NY to NYTW to TDF to HERE.  He can help any organization of any size – for profit or nonprofit. 

Second question how can he help?  We all know dealing with benefits for our employees is a difficult process.  Greg is often able to work out a better set of benefits than the employees had before (dental, optical, long term disability) and he works with you on what is affordable.   I have always been conscious of multiple bids and Greg has always found the best coverage for what the organization can or can’t afford.

Third question, why him over any other broker – aren’t they all the same?  Actually they really aren’t all the same.  At three organizations, I inherited a different broker and none of them showed the caring or the customer support that Greg does.  Greg takes time to meet with your employees and explain the coverage to them.  His office when notified will follow a claim from start to finish.  Those of you who know me, know I am pretty accident prone, well, last time I was at the ER, I emailed Greg to let him know, and he followed up immediately to make sure everything that was done was covered and I didn’t have to do a thing.  He actually encourages clients to include his staff and him in the process.

Fourth question, why does he do it?  Frankly, he is just a really great guy who cares about people.  He is actually passionate about insurance coverage and employee benefits (I know crazy, huh?).  For example, I once complained to Greg about how none of our off-Broadway electricians and carpenters had insurance coverage because they couldn’t afford it and weren’t full-time at any theatres.  He actually went out and started a program for them to get emergency coverage at an affordable rate.

Fifth and final question, why does this seem just too good to be true?  Well, we are so used to being treated as second class citizens by most vendors.  Sad but true.  So stand up for yourself and your employees and demand a little more and call me and I will put you in touch with him immediately or just call him (212) 986-9339 x 114.  If nothing else you can just let him review your current coverage – no strings attached to see if he can help you.  Trust me you won’t regret it.  Check around with other companies that use him and you will see how much they adore him. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home