off-stage right

Monday, April 20, 2009

Mike Daisey

So for the last year or so I have missed each opportunity I had to see Mike Daisey - How Theatre Failed America. I had read the essay that originally inspired it, and I found that there were things I agreed with and things I didn't. Missing the performance didn't really bother much until now. Reading Todd Olsen's (AD from American Stage Theatre Company in Tampa Bay) open letter to Daisey's response has left me quite frustrated with myself that I didn't make time to see the show when it was a the Public (I was in tech and in a run for a show where I thought the actors needed me around during the performances - but still I could have slipped away one night), or I could have missed whatever it was I did at the TCG conference instead of seeing the performance.

I am a bit sad because I feel that some of his frustrations are things I have posted about and have been trying to solve - espeically RELEVANCE in theatre today. But more so, because I think I would love to see his show and have a discussion with him about it - I am sure we would find plenty of things to agree upon, however, more importantly I think the heathly debate where our opinons might diverge would be informative and thought provoking.

Mike - since I assume you have a google alert going or at least I hope you do - I look forward to catching the show and following you more closely. Sorry it took me so long. I also look forward to agreeing and disagreeing on varying points! Whatever side folks find themselves on, it is a conversation we should be having.

No matter where you stand, you should read the Olsen letter and response here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home