off-stage right

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

9-5 why Dolly is good for Broadway…

New York Magazine’s just did a great profile on Dolly Parton (Dolly or Bust).  It really gets to the heart of what a wonderful artist, person and businesswoman she is.  Reading it gives you a tiny peek into Dolly’s world.  Now, in all fairness, I am a huge Dolly Parton fan, I have been since I was little.  When they announced 9-5, I thought it was a brilliant idea.  Fun movie, had a great story even though it is dated, and Dolly is by far one of the greatest songwriters ever and knows how to tell a story in a song. 

Now, when I saw the show, I had the time of my life – I laughed so hard I cried.  The show was true to the movie while poking a little fun at it.  I loved the cast and the music (again between Brian and I we probably own everything she has recorded).  I sent out tweets and status updates declaring what a great time the show was.

Obviously the new musical competition is a tough category this year and the reviews won’t be out until Friday, I have to say, I think Dolly coming to Broadway is a really good thing for two reasons:  

First and foremost, I think through the press push she is doing this week and the cast album she will introduce a lot of people to musical theatre.  

Second, in a landscape filled with American Idols contestants it is good to see a mentor’s work hit to boards (with original songs).  Elton John coming to Broadway had that same kind of thrill – and he has stayed (and it Dolly’s biggest competition this year, although she wrote the music AND the lyrics). 

So welcome to Broadway, Dolly.  Happy Opening and I hope you are here for a good long time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home