off-stage right

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Horton Foote, storyteller

I have been so blessed in my life to work with so many amazing actors, directors, and playwrights. I live in awe of most of them. But truthfully, there was one I respected above all others, the incomparable Horton Foote.

This had nothing to do with me spending a large portion of my life in Texas. Horton's work spoke to me in a unique way that other movies, plays, and stories never could. I can't explain why Harrison, Texas seemed so much like everyplace I had lived and loved. His characters leapt from the stage or screen into my heart and seemed to take a part of my soul away with them. Those characters, especially the women - no one wrote Southern women as well as Horton, were so real, so true. I love them all no matter what their flaws.

I have worked in the theatre since I was 16 years old and without question, I have read and re-read more of Horton's work than any other playwright. He is the only playwright whose work I read like it was any other book or story. I read his work because I loved it not because I was working on it.

All the descriptions of him as a brilliant, kind, generous gentleman are true. I could listen to him speak endlessly. I am grateful that earlier this year I went to Hartford Stage Company to hear the theatre's artistic director, Michael Wilson interview Horton about the writing of the movie of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD as part of the NEA's Big Read programming. Michael told the story of being a young theatre artist who met Horton while he was still in school in North Carolina and Horton inspired him to keep working. After the discussion Michael and I talked about what young artist in the audience that night would be inspired to pursue a life in the theatre after hearing Horton speak. After briefly chatting with Horton that night at Hartford Stage, I drove back to Westport with Brian honored and amazed that we knew one of the greatest American writers. It was the last time we saw him, and I will cherish that night forever. Horton inspired so many people and was loved by so many.

I will never forget the event we held at Signature Theatre Company for his 90th Birthday. His smile lit up the room as so many who knew and had worked with him made toasts in his honor, Robert Duvall, James Earl Jones, John Guare, Matthew Broderick, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and the one and only Harper Lee. It is still one of the most magical nights I have ever experienced.

Next Thursday I will be heading the Hartford to see the highly acclaimed production of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD that Horton helped craft featuring the wonderful Hallie Foote, Devon Abner and many other of the "regulars" who worked on Horton's work (especially with director Michael Wilson who has done such wonders with so many of Horton's plays). I will of course head back a few weeks later to see DIVIDING THE ESTATE for the third time - a show for which Horton and Hallie should win the TONY AWARD. And, I have been anticipating the ORPHANS CYCLE productions in Hartford and at Signature Theatre Company since the moment I heard they would happen. I will reread his work regularly starting with his two part memoir BEGINNINGS: A MEMOIR and FAREWELL: A MEMOIR OF A TEXAS CHILDHOOD. So in many ways, Horton will be present over the next year. I am grateful Horton's beautiful words will be in my life forever.

I look forward to watching Hallie continue her journey as the master interpreter of his work. I will be there years and years from now for the opening night for her turn as Carrie Watts in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL - I only hope I am working on the production in some way. On that night Horton will be smiling down on the stage - just as he did from the audience most performance nights for his plays - I imagine him watching - the smile, a Hershey bar and a Coke - enjoying a night in the theatre. We are all so blessed that Horton Foote walked this earth and wrote about it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home