off-stage right

Friday, July 18, 2008

Inspiration

In July 2008 I particpated in the Harvard Business School's Social Enterprises Executive Education program Strategic Perspectives for Nonprofit Managers (SPNM). It was one of the best and most transforming weeks of my life.

Here are all of the links and topics for posts from SPNM:
Overview
Inspiration
Capacity
Leadership
Scale
Strategic Service Vision
Mission and Strategic Triangle - Legitamacy & Support / Organization / Mission
Value Chain
Market Research
Measuring Impact


So, I sent the blog to Eric, our marketing director, a few days ago. And the good news is that he didn't hate it.

So that button in the top right hand corner of the Playhouse website will no longer haunt me. The good news is that he will be double checking my spelling and
grammar, when he pulls excerpts out for the official website.

On a more important note, I mentioned that we were doing peer consultations yesterday and I went first. I will write more about that later. But I want to talk about the WONDERFUL woman who I met this week.

Her name is Jenny. She and her husband have founded an literacy program in India on the the border of Nepal (Rupaidiha). An area so forgotten - here is modern form of measurement if there ever was one - when you google the name, the search results are filled with links to Jenny's organization and not much else.

In 22 years they have grown the program into a school, aid agency, and safe place for girls and women. Additionally, they have programs for women. I can't even began to describe the work that they are doing.

She is so
inspiring that our entire living group wants to go to India to help her. We are actually planning ways to help her from our respective geographic locations and individual disciplines. I don't think I have ever met anyone who inspired me as much as Jenny has.

Speaking with her the last week about the horrible conditions in which she teaches, saves children from being SOLD, and empowers women, has reminded me of the power of words, reading, and self-expression. She is the living
definition of a mission. She has also reminded me of the real reason theatre is vital to life - everyone needs a voice and sometimes when you give someone a voice, they can change the world.

http://www.girlshome.rajministries.org/

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home